Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Welcome to Pleasantville

There's a bit of a problem at my local Target. The people there are too helpful. Yup, you read it right - they are too helpful. I first noticed it a couple of months ago when it seemed that the people working there had gotten oddly aggressive about trying to help you find something even if you hadn't asked. I do feel kind of bad complaining about people being too friendly but I go there about once a week and it's gotten increasingly worse.

Today I was there for a quick visit and in that short amount of time I was asked no less than five different times if I needed help finding something. They are not just overly friendly when you are wondering around aimlessly which I used to love to do, by the way, but now I am ducking overly friendly people everywhere I go and have a strict "get in, get out" policy. Today I was literally opening the dairy case and had my hand on the soy milk when someone came up behind me and asked if I needed help. "Um, no, just getting my milk. Thank you." It appeared that there was one guy whose sole job was to stand in one of the main aisles and shout, "Can I help you find something?" over and over again to every single person who passed him with their cart.

I will be the first person to say that it's frustrating when you genuinely need help and there's no one around to give it but there's got to be a happy medium. I honestly feel like I can't just be left to shop in peace anymore and so my sacred shopping place has just gotten annoying. Is it possible that I've just turned into that big of a grouch?

0 comments:

 
designed by suckmylolly.com