Thursday, November 29, 2007

A different approach to gift-giving

If you're like me, I have started running out of things that I really "need" for Christmas. And, sure, there are things that I want but many are either a little too pricey to pass along as gift ideas or I've already bought them for myself. I find the older I get, the harder it is to answer that question when my mom and sister ask me, "What do you want for Christmas?" Unlike my childhood days of rattling off toys and wants, I've started to become a bit more practical and, even still, find it hard to really come up with too much that I need or don't just get for myself.

A coworker of mine is giving her grown daughters (and anyone else on her list) gift certificates to Kiva this year for Christmas so they can select a business to "sponsor." She says, like most of us, they already have enough "stuff" and they're both moving again so who needs more "stuff."

Kiva was founded by an American couple who noticed that people in developing countries could be successful with small businesses to support themselves and their families if they could get very small business loans. Kiva allows people to pick a small business (often just 1-person or family business) featured on the Web site and loan from $25 up to help them improve their businesses. The loans are made online, handled by a microfinance institution that disburses the loans, and then repaid to the lender(s). When a loan is repaid, the lender can use the money to make a new loan to another small business if they wish, or simply get their money back. The loan repayment rate is extremely high (in high 90s percentage). The photos of the entrepreneurs and their small businesses, along with their stories are on the Web site, so people can select which person/business they would like to help. People who make loans get email updates of how the business is doing if they wish.

Although I already have my shopping lists made and will probably continue to shop as usual, I really liked this thought. What a unique gift idea for the holidays!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Definitely a unique gift idea! I will continue to shop as usual, but I like the idea of giving to charity as a gift. For now, I will have to settle with Jackson dropping a toy in the Toys for Tots bin at Toys r Us.

Did you see SJP on Project Runway a couple weeks ago? I thought of you that entire episode!

Sandi said...

This is a really neat idea! And depending on what the businesses are, you could find some really unique stuff.

J. said...

Really nice idea, Amy.

 
designed by suckmylolly.com