Thursday, November 01, 2007

What a day

Today instead of going to work, I was going to attend a conference. On the way to my conference my mind was elsewhere. I was half-driving, half-day dreaming about all the things I had to do and all the things going on in life. If you live here, you're probably aware of a section of Providence near campus that narrows and a section of the curb really sticks out. I realized I was running straight into the curb at about the same second it happened. I hit it. Hard. I immediately turned, got out and saw that not only was a few chunks of metal gone from my hub cap but also a few chunks were missing from my tire, too. I was supposed to be at the conference soon. And this was already shaping out to not be my day. I went to a nearby automotive shop and left my car while frantically trying to reach a coworker to pick me up. I spent the rest of the day at the conference distracted and worried about money. It turns out that not only did I need one new tire and an alignment, I needed four new tires. So $525.18 later, I'm at home and I'm calling it a day. Yesterday I got paid. I also meticulously budgeted for the month in order to buy Christmas presents. Is it possible that we're never really supposed to get ahead?

6 comments:

Rach said...

I feel the same way about that last question you presented...and it was because of car trouble too, but ours cost $1000.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you had a rotten day. We often wonder the same thing about getting ahead. We just watched an episode of "House Hunters" about a fresh-out-of-college couple looking to buy a house in the $300,000 range. I spent the entire half hour gagging.

Amy said...

Nichole, I feel the same way every time I watch "House Hunters" which is often...and I had a car repair last month and there was something else I was going to take care of this month which will now have to wait until next month...it seems never-ending.

Unknown said...

I feel the same way! If it isn't one thing it is another. Well, at least you have safe tires! Hope everything gets better soon!

Alison said...

I have one reaction to your story...grrr, money...

Alison said...

and seriously, how do people with zero credit history get such large credit? my friend and i were just talking about that - our theory is that they use your mother's maiden name to see how much money they have and their bill payment history. And if you're a man, you have higher earning potential.

 
designed by suckmylolly.com