Thursday, June 18, 2009

A few thoughts about creativity

One of the things Joe and I have found very interesting about where we live are all the local businesses, much of which are very unique. For instance, there are only a hand full of typewriter repair shops left in the entire country and one of them is in Chicago. We have actually seen multiple acordian repair shops and I recently read a story about the hatmaker who made the hats for the new "Public Enemies" movie. This store is just a few miles from where we live and one of the last traditional hat stores in the world.

There are so many unique talents out there and, at the same time, so many lost/dying arts. When I was growing up, it seemed like there were lots of moms making clothes for their kids (my mom included) but that isn't so common anymore. I know just a few people my age who can actually sew. And, yes, often times it seems much easier and less expensive to just buy something rather than make it. But I often wish I had some sort of creative talent. Something to hold onto. A creative skill. A trade. I think I've mentioned it before but Joe's Aunt Judy is an expert quiltmaker and his Uncle Jim does amazing woodwork and is also a glassmaker. Wow. I admire the talent and the art. And usually when I see Cristin's work, whatever it may be, I'm just blown away by the process, the detail and the ability. It's really something to admire.

No, I don't think I'll join the world of hatmaking or become a repair woman anytime soon but, at the same time, there is something very appealing about making or fixing something with your own two hands. Maybe this is why I have enjoyed cooking so much. I like creating something and seeing the end result. And, yes, I guess I have felt that way about marketing, too, when I can stand back and see what I've helped to create or shape. Anyway, just wanted to share. Feeling almost like I need to explore a new hobby! Until then, I will keep reading Martha Stewart and keep dreaming.

1 comments:

Rach said...

On a regular basis, I wish I had a hobby. Lots of people I know make things...and then there's me.

 
designed by suckmylolly.com