Thursday, March 15, 2007

I've got fever

I've had this conversation over and over again with several different friends. It probably started at least five years ago and goes something like this, "I can't stop watching (insert favorite MTV show here). When am I going to be too old for MTV?" The truth is that I already know that I'm much too old and ashamed but continue to watch anyway. Now I'm pushing 30 and I still can't stop watching. The worst part is that most of it is just plain trash. Next, Super Sweet Sixteen, The Challenge/Duel/Inferno, etc., (old school) Laguna Beach...the list goes on. I recently saw previews for Maui Fever and swore I wouldn't watch it. Plus, I genuinely thought it looked stupid. So last night I came home from work and turned on the television. It was already tuned to MTV and Maui Fever was on. I went about my business doing something else and within two minutes I was totally hooked. For the next couple of hours, like a zombie, I sat and watched. I couldn't pull away from it and even when I had to go to the store I decided to record the last of it so I didn't miss the ending. What is wrong with me? And why do I continue to watch television shows about spoiled rotten children who try to top each other with lavish birthday parties where they boss around their parents? Most of the time I sit watching and thinking, "No she didn't!" Meanwhile, I'm just waiting for my fever to break.

6 comments:

Alison said...

Seriously - when will we stop? It's a sickness. Although I have to say that I draw the line at checking out their website. It's such a marketing, convoluted mess that I won't even go there...

Unknown said...

Dude, I am in the same teeny bopper boat as you. It is so addicting, I swear there are subliminal messages in there forcing me to watch and not allowing me turn the channel.

Monica said...

I would so be on board if I could afford good cable. Perhaps I need to come over and view this with you next time.

Amy said...

Case in point, I went home at lunch and got sucked into The Hills .

Unknown said...

You crack me up! I don't watch much MTV, but I watch plenty of other trash (think Wife Swap) and still love stupid teen movies even if I am embarrassed to be the oldest person (besides the junior high mothers) in the theater.

Rach said...

I secretly watch those some of those shows and then change the channel if I hear B coming downstairs. Thanks for the well-wishing. My medicine seems to be working and all my symptons are gone so I'm feeling better.

 
designed by suckmylolly.com