Monday, January 07, 2008

Shoe-lover

Another lesson in aging - the shoes. I have some really beautiful shoes. Some are very ornate and I liken them to great pieces of art. And like any art aficionado, my collection cost a small fortune.


For awhile, I was all about the stiletto. At first it was almost out of curiosity. Several years ago, I used my Christmas money to buy my first pair. Black Steve Maddens. I still have them. They are classic and beautiful. I wore them with jeans and t-shirts; I wore them with skirts and dress pants. I soon caught on to walking in them without any problem. I built up my stamina so that it didn't feel too burdensome to wear them for more than a couple hours. Pedicurists would exclaim, "You wear heels a lot, don't you?" when seeing the perfectly formed callus on my foot. I moved on from that first pair. I bought more. I became a shoe-lover.

Saturday night, I looked at all these beautiful shoes in my closet. Too many. Not being worn. You see, I have a secret. I don't wear stilettos much, if ever, anymore. I have grown accustomed to flats and ballet-type shoes. It's a good thing that they're in style but more importantly, they're really comfortable. I'm well aware that I'm not an old lady just yet but as I find myself getting older and going out less, I find my art collection sitting in a closet. Collecting dust. I feel kind of guilty about that. I haven't made any New Years Resolutions, at least not out loud. Perhaps if I did, I would tell myself to continue to buy comfortable shoes but to not close the gallery for good. Some things are just meant to be shared.

2 comments:

Alison said...

Very well written post, Amy. Carrie Bradshaw, eat your heart out.

I think your 'what if' resolution is a good one.

Jeni said...

I,too, have a beautiful shoe collecton gathering dust. After I discovered that walking in my beautiful shoes was contributing to my knee pain, I had to submit. I've sent several off to E-Bay, admid wishes for a better life for them, one in which they can paint the town red, as they were made to do.

Now in my stay-at-home mom life, I wear flat slip-ons or tennis shoes. My image might suffer, but my knees don't. :-)

 
designed by suckmylolly.com