Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election excitement

Don't forget to wear your "I voted" sticker to your local Krispy Kreme today and pick up a free donut...or get your free cup of coffee at Starbucks...or your free scoop of ice cream at Ben & Jerry's. Wow - there are a lot of incentives today. Yes, I did vote. And I did get my Starbucks.

Four years ago, I voted absentee and was off gallivanting around Italy with my friend, Monica. I felt really out of the loop on election day. We went to an election watch party (or so we thought) in Bologna to watch the election happenings. Granted, there was a huge time difference but even still all the coverage was in Italian. I couldn't understand a thing and Monica was only picking up a few words and phrases here and there. The place was so packed we were sitting on the very cold floor and I was shivering and falling asleep in public. Sometime in the middle of the night we went back to someones house (an expat who was a friend of a friend of a friend or something like that) and fell asleep on the floor of a strange Italian apartment in Bologna before getting up a couple hours later at the crack of dawn. I remember us picking up an Italian newspaper that morning at the train station and trying (or Monica trying) to decipher whether or not we had a new president. We got the gist - no. By the time I got home more than a week later, all the election excitement had died down and I saw none of the coverage.

This election will be different. Joe and I will be home watching and snacking in the comfort of our own home. This is a very exciting time in our history but I'm also ready to move on. I'm kind of tired of all the election excitement.

0 comments:

 
designed by suckmylolly.com