Monday, May 04, 2009

Jenny

Ellen, Jenny and me.
Jenny and I hugging at her 21st birthday celebration.

Today is May 4. It’s been 10 years since my friend Jenny died in a car accident. I asked her sister, Susan if I could write about her. Even after all this time, I miss her dearly.

I will never forget where I was when I heard the news. I was working at my college internship at a local hospital and we were in the middle of a tv interview when one of the reporters got a cell phone call that there had been a fatal accident on US Hwy 61. My heart sank. It was the same road that I, and several of my hometown friends, traveled every day to college. Typically, I would have gone straight to school after my internship but that day was different. Something in my gut told me to go home. When I pulled in the driveway, my mom was waiting for me.

Nine days earlier, I had celebrated Jenny’s 21st birthday with her. It was the very last time I saw her. We had exchanged phone calls and emails but life was busy and even though we lived in the same town and went to the same college, we hadn’t quite been able to connect for that week since. I am so grateful that I have such a wonderful last memory of spending her birthday celebrating with her.

Jenny was majoring in early childhood education and she often babysat for two special needs children. She had such a kind heart and was so genuine and carefree. She touched many lives through her teaching and love for children.

We loved to watch movies together, listen to Tori Amos, go shopping for the latest cds and of course we went to parties! We also LOVED to watch Dawson's Creek and even did homework together...although I don't think either one of us did much studying, mostly it was just talking. We went to see Titanic - a lot. (I saw it 3 times but I know she saw it even more than that!) She had so many friends and so much fun.

Jenny was an amazing friend and I’m so blessed to have known her. Susan said she often wonders what Jenny would be like today and I have to wonder the same thing. She was so young when she died and was just starting her adult life at twenty-one...I suspect she would be very happy - I can't think of Jenny without thinking of her big smile. And though I think of her often, I am especially thinking of her and her family today.

6 comments:

Susan said...

THANK YOU AMY! You have a much better way of saying things than I do! You were truly a wonderful friend to my sister....and myself....and I love you for that!

Unknown said...

I can't believe it has been ten years. She was a special gal.

Alison said...

that was a beautiful tribute to a beautiful girl.

Sandi said...

Amy, I'm so glad that you wrote about your friend. I am so sorry for the loss of her life. My sister was 21 when she was killed in a car accident as well. Although the pain fades some with time, you can never stop wondering what their lives could have been.

Your words were beautiful. She sounds like a wonderful person!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your friend. Jenny was obviously a wonderful person -- and your words are really lovely.
Laura

Anonymous said...

Amy,

That is a beautiful tribute. You are a wonderful writer and a dear friend to Jenny and all of us...

Big hug!
Sharita

 
designed by suckmylolly.com