Saturday, May 23, 2009

More change

I've become a real blog-slacker lately. The most significant news here is that I gave my notice at my job this past week. For obvious reasons, I try to make a habit of not talking too specifically about work on my blog but I'll make the exception here.

I have a history of loving my work and loving the people I work with who always end up like a second family to me. After about the first week or two I knew this job was wrong for me. I was surrounded by a sea of cubicles but rarely would anyone speak to me. I have been feeling a real disconnect with the people but even more of a disconnect with the work. It just wasn't exactly what I thought it would be or should be. I shared some of my concerns at my three-month evaluation only things didn't seem to change. I also recently found out that I had been mis-paid and after bringing that concern to my boss, he didn't try to make it right. Then this week I read an email that I wasn't supposed to read...you know the drill. You get copied on an email and you go back to read the chain and find a disparaging remark about yourself. Not cool. It was the final straw for me in an already unhappy situation. So I made the decision to leave.

I was asked to apply for another position with the company on the same floor. I've been mulling it over for the past few days but I honestly think that the situation would be a little too awkward for me and I also am not convinced that I'll be that much happier with the work. I think I'm going to pass.

So here I am, at the same place I was a few months ago. I am trying to figure out what's the next step for me. I've been thinking about graduate school or just searching for another full-time position that seems like a better fit (although those positions are scarce in this economy) or both. I feel like I know exactly what I want to do, if I can just do it.

So, yeah, lots of changes once again. But I'm ready to just hang out for a few days, enjoy the long weekend and leave all of that behind for awhile.

8 comments:

Adoption Momma said...

Sorry to hear that the job didn't work out. I feel like a Chinese fortune cookie when I say, "A great opportunity is just around the corner." I hope you enjoy the long weekend.

Jeni said...

I think you made the right decision regarding your job. It's tough to be without a job when you want or need one, but it's very draining to be unfulfilled in your work. Whatever path you decide to pursue now, I hope things work out easily.

Sandi said...

Oh, Amy, I'm so sorry. That's so disappointing. I have been meaning to ask you how it was going. God will give you just what you need.

Sandi said...

Oh, Amy, I'm so sorry. That's so disappointing. I have been meaning to ask you how it was going. God will give you just what you need.

Anonymous said...

Amy, I think you made the right decision and I admire your courage to do so. God is cutting a path for you and I trust He will make it clear. I love and miss you!

Sharita

Rach said...

Good luck! I'm glad that you are putting your happiness and sanity first.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your job -- but so proud of the decision you've made. Life is too short to stay in a situation that makes you feel bad. Good for you!!
Laura

Jen said...

I'm so sorry about your job. But man you did the right thing (IMO). I had a job I hated and I stayed way too long. You are wise to get out before it really takes its toll on you.
I hope your next steps are much easier and more fulfilling.

 
designed by suckmylolly.com