Friday, March 28, 2008

Not your average girl

Some people have been surprised when I tell them I am eloping. But let's face it, I'm not your average girl. I don't like the color pink, I'm still waiting for my maternal instincts to kick in and I don't want a traditional wedding.

I want the day to be just about Joe and me. I would rather spend money on a great honeymoon and trip than a wedding. And I don't need the added stress of all the hundreds of details that go into the planning for such an event.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's perfectly healthy and normal to want a traditional wedding, it's just not for me. Needless to say, I've been thinking a lot about traditions. (And don't forget to look up the origin of honeymoon because that one is pretty barbaric.) I've never understood most of them or why we do the things we do. Feeding each other cake, garters, tossing rice, etc.

I think most wedding traditions are fun and harmless. The one tradition that I have always been adamently against is the tossing of the bouquet. Call me sensitive but I don't understand why we have to herd all the single girls together so they can catch a bouquet in an attempt that they will be the next one chosen for marriage. As a long-time single gal, I always found that one to be a little insulting and embarrassing. Even more humiliating when you're vying for the bouquet with girls 13 and under. Neither I nor any of my friends ever enjoyed that tradition. Without realizing it, it's like saying that you're not okay unless you're married.

I also understand that today's giving away of the bride represents a showing of parental support for the marriage. But the original giving away of the bride comes from a time when marriage wasn't as much of a choice but the father literally gave away the bride usually in return for something. When Breanne got married she made sure, "Who gives this woman to marry this man?" wasn't a part of the ceremony. She decided by its omission to discretely take the stance that as a mature adult she was marrying Dan of her own free will.

With all that being said, my intentions aren't to offend or to dismiss the importance of tradition and the security that comes from it. I just think that sometimes we need to rethink why we do the things we do. Most importantly, you have to be true to yourself. Sometimes breaking the mold really is okay.

4 comments:

Alison said...

I love your individuality. I, too, want my special day to be about me and my man. Good for you for makign the day what's important to you and your marriage!!

Rach said...

Don't let anyone put you down Amy!!! Just make sure there are plenty of pictures. :)

Anonymous said...

We modified the giving-away part to "With whose blessing do these kids git hitched?" (Well, maybe it wasn't exactly that, verbatim.) We also left out the "obey" part of the vows. Ha! Take that, Alex.

Coach T said...

I didn't throw the bouquet at my wedding for that exact reason. Instead I dedicated it to my mom and sister whose birthdays were withinn a week of my wedding and who supported me throughout my life to that point. I think my mom ended up taking my bouquet to my grandfather's grave who passed away in '92! I thought that was a perfect thing to do! I do ditto the MAKE SURE THERE ARE PLENTY OF PICTURES!!!

 
designed by suckmylolly.com