Sunday, March 29, 2009

Chicken and Sugar Snap Pea Curry

I'm a big fan of curry so tonight I tried a recipe from this week's food section in the newspaper. Turned out well so I thought I'd share.

Chicken and Sugar Snap Pea Curry

SAUCE
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 cup onion, diced
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon jalapeno pepper, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

CHICKEN
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon ground coriander
2 cups fresh sugar snap peas

For sauce: In medium saucepan over medium-low heat, warm canola oil. Add onion, curry powder, chili powder, jalapeno pepper and ginger. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent (about 4 minutes). Add drained tomatoes, coconut milk, salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium high and bring mixture to a boil; lower heat to simmer and cook until sauce has thickened (about 10 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.

For chicken: Add canola oil to a wok or stir-fry pan and place over high heat. When oil is hot, add chicken slices and coriander, stirring constantly. Cook chicken until almost done (about 5 to 7 minutes) and add sugar snap peas. Continue to cook, stirring, 3 minutes.

Combine chicken and curry sauce mixture; simmer 3 to 5 minutes to blend flavors. Serve over rice.

3 comments:

Jeni said...

I've always been interested in curry, but have been too chicken to try a recipe. I'm worried that it's hot - is it hot? James and I are both total wimps when it comes to spicy food. (Especially in my current pregnant state.)

Nichole said...

That sounds wonderful! I'm going to have to bookmark this one. Did you ever try the Thai coconut curry recipe?

Amy said...

Jeni, this one wasn't very spicy. It was mostly sweet. But I've had some pretty spicy curries...just depends.

Nichole, I never did try the thai coconut curry but now I might just have to...that one was published before I cooked! Although, it seems like it makes an awful lot. I'm not sure when we'd eat that much.

 
designed by suckmylolly.com