Thursday, July 10, 2008

Moving bites

Meagan started moving today into a new place. She took time away from her own packing and unpacking to help me pack. That makes her an absolute rock star and a gem of a friend. Thanks, Meagan. With the help of the packing expert I feel like I've actually made a dent and have accomplished something. It's a good feeling.

This is where I need your help. I am renting a Budget truck because it ended up being way cheaper than U-Haul. I have the choice between a 16-foot truck and a 24-foot truck. Nothing in between. I live in a 2-bedroom apartment and the 16-foot truck says it's for 3 to 4 rooms. The 24-foot truck is for 8 rooms. I opted for the 16-foot but I'm starting to second guess myself. I have two beds, couch, large coffee table, small table and four small chairs, very small (tiny) patio table with two chairs, chair and ottoman, rocking chair, dresser, misc. table, antique cabinent, treadmill (which I could take or leave - obviously) and desk. Oh and about 100 boxes of "stuff" and 800 pairs of shoes. Am I okay with the 16-foot truck or should I get something bigger? I don't want to spend the extra money on the truck and more fuel if it's not necessary. Thoughts? Opinions? Advice?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When we moved from the duplex in Columbia, I packed everything into a 17 foot truck and the load really did not completely fit (we had stuff packed in the Element and then I had other things left over, too.) We really needed a 20-24 foot truck.

When in doubt, always go with a larger truck. Tie off the sections as you progress with the load because you don't want it to shift in the truck as you're driving.

Amy said...

Oh and I left out my washer/dryer.

J. said...

Maybe we just go bigger.

Alison said...

I think it might be worth your while to go for the bigger truck for piece of mind. You could also try measuring some of your stuff, and ask a mathematician to figure out how many square feet you're going to need and help you determine.

 
designed by suckmylolly.com