Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's wishes

I used to have a Valentine's Day ritual. Instead of being bitter and single (not to mention the fact that I could just barely stomach the color of pink wafting around everywhere I looked) I made sure the holiday was more than just celebrating romantic love. It was - and is still - about celebrating friendships, family, special coworkers, etc.

In the past, I always made sure I had plans. I would round up all of my single friends and we'd hit the town. One year Breanne and I cooked an elegant dinner for our single friends, complete with a dessert of home-made chocolate covered strawberries. Another year, some friends and I went to a local pub for dinner (there was sure to be no candlelit dinners at a pub or long lines filled with lovers) and one year my friends and I went to an anti-romantic movie. (Hey, it was group concensus people.) That was my Valentine's Day ritual...spending it with the other single people in my life who mean so much.

When I met Joe, my ritual changed a bit. And, since then, so did the lives of most of my single friends! Today dating long-distance makes it hard to have any romantic plans for Valentine's Day so I'm opting to instead spend my evening at pilates. Of course, I still sent a valentine to Joe along with something special. What's on your Valentine's Day agenda? And how do you show the one(s) that you love, you love them?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

For Valentine's Day, Piper and I watched "The Aristocats" and had chicken nuggets and mac 'n' cheese. Graham played with his baby gym and had some formula.

Alex, meanwhile, might just be riding a mechanical bull. (It's unlikely that he'll ride the bull, but he is having dinner there tonight!)

 
designed by suckmylolly.com